Monday January 09th 2006, 9:24 pm
Filed under: FCC, Cable/Satellite, Government, Indecency, Radio
During a press conference this morning, Howard Stern explained what he considers indecent.
Howard Stern doesn’t consider “doody” jokes indecent.
Things he does consider indecent:
• US soldiers in Iraq not having enough body armor.
• The Iraq War may have been started based on a lie.
• “The Religious Right” who oppose letting a woman choose an abortion and also oppose affirmative action for a hand up for people born into poverty.
• “The Religious Right” who like “The Taliban” are intolerant regarding contrary opinions, and also intolerant towards gays.
• The Catholic Church covering for abuse by priests by transferring the priests to another parish.
• Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) spending millions of our tax dollars on a bridge to nowhere.
Stern used to be on broadcast radio, which is subject to FCC fines for “indecency.” Infinity Broadcasting, where Howard Stern used to work, was fined by the FCC for his broadcasts.
Satellite radio isn’t subject to indecency fines. Stern went to Sirius Satellite radio partially for the greater freedom.
The FCC defines indecency as “patently offensive” material about sex and excretion which violates community standards.